Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Birthday!



Happy Birthday! I'd like to take a little time to wish my fellow Marines a happy 234th birthday. That's right folks, 234 years of slaying dragons, rescuing maidens, and thwarting villains. How cool is that?

During the Marine Corps traditional cake cutting ceremony we play a well known song called Auld Lang Syne. This comes from a Scottish phrase which can be translated as "days gone by" or "days of long ago". So the English lyrics of the song go like this:

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and days of long ago?

Every year we commemorate our legacy on November 10th in homage to those giants who have gone before us and remind ourselves of who we are and what we represent. It is a conscious effort to never forget the days of long ago and the sacrifices of our brethren and reforge our commitment to fight for life and freedom, keep our honor clean, and never lose our nerve.

Happy birthday and Semper Fidelis! If you see an old Marine veteran sporting his colors today give him a loud"Eer-ah!!" from America's 1stSgt.

10 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Happy Birthday, 1st Sgt Burke, USMC

After reading your bull s…uh…writings for almost a year, I see through all the gruff, curmudgeon demeanor and know that you don’t get that far in the Marines without having a love for the Corps and your fellow Marines. You will get in a Ninja’s face with heated words when he screws up as fast as you will be in his face giving him comfort and aide if he is screwed up. You are a leader and deserve the respect your rank and countenance dictate.

Thank you and your Corps for being there doing the hard stuff to make our life safer.

Happy Birthday, Simper Fi and Eer-ah!

And thanks to your handler, Hope, for putting up with you and keeping your blog going for us to enjoy. She's a Marine at heart!

Kanani said...

Happy Birthday! I gave a shout out this morning over on Facebook. Plus, Hope has hung out the shingle today on hers.

Eeerrrahhh!!! (thought it was ooorah, but all the same).

CI-Roller Dude said...

Top,
When I get off work today, I'm going home...work out, then have a beer for the Fallujah Marines.
I was so lucky. When our Army unit got to Baghdad, my first mission was to work with the 1st MarDiv. They showed me how to survive in Iraq, how to move around on missions, they gave me ammo, and they knew how to make fun where there was none.

My biggest mistake in my life?
Not joining the Marines in 1974..instead I joined the Army.
Happy Birthday Top!

Jamie said...

Happy birthday to the Corps and to all the men and women who so honorably serve our nation.

This Old Medic said...

Happy birthday wishes to you and the Corps whom you represent. Defending us and others from the evils of those which try to do harm by insuring that all may remain free. If I may, Simper Fi to you and the Corps.

Arli said...

Spent the day among many Marines and Sailors while visiting the USS New York here in my fair city. I was amazed by the ship and all she
carries. As a lifelong New Yorker, I was moved by the Twin Towers steel incorporated her bow. But the men and women I got to meet today....are what I will remember the best. I felt so fortunate to be able to speak with and thank a few of our nation's best and bravest citizens. Happy Marine Corp. birthday, 1st Sgt. Happy Veteran's Day tomorrow. Thank you.
Semper Fi.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Happy Birthday to you and all of the Marines, past and present.

And, thanks to all of you for your service to our country.

Travis said...

Happy Birthday to you, your Ninjas, and to all who have come before you!

Akelamalu said...

Happy Birthday to you and your fine men.

America's 1st Sgt. said...

Thanks guys!

Of course, out Ball celebration won't go until the 19th. It happens that way sometimes.