Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmapocalypse!

December has proven to be a horror show month of various disciplinary and leadership type issues. Nonetheless I strove to remain in the Christmas spirit until what I thought was a parade of Santas turned out to be group of unshaven Sailors huffing and puffing their way to the ice cream stand.

"Ho-ho-hold the sprinkles on my sundae dude."

The average American often feels somewhat guilty they get to enjoy the Christmas season at home while many of us are making sand angels way out here in the Middle Evil. Let me remind everyone each of us is out here because we promised we would. As I related to my Marines the other day, we chose this occupation to do those things others are unwilling or unable to do. That is why it's called service and sacrifice.

So while children are nestled all snug in their beds, Marines sharpen K-Bars and fix bayonets.

Which reminds me of a famous Christmas poem penned by Marine LCpl James M. Schmidt in December 1986.  It is entitled Merry Christmas My Friend.  Some history behind the poem here.

This Christmas season will find America's 1stSgt with his Marines on a cot somewhere in the Kingdom of Jordan.  As is my tradition, I will try and entertain the men with an evening  of zombie films if we can rig it.

In the meantime, let me leave you all with a few of my favorite things...



Merry Christmas!
America's 1stSgt

14 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

Your comment about your occupation is right on my friend, thank you and your men for what you do. Merry Christmas from and old soldier.

CI-Roller Dude said...

America's First Sergeant said it well again!
For some reason, when I spent 4 (four) Christmas' overseas, my family and friends felt sorry for me or something.
Hell, I was with other troops I cared about. West Berlin had great beer!
Bosnia...was pretty in with the snow...and the Christmas in 04 I spent in Falljuah with the 1st Mar Div...the BEST bunch of folks I've ever worked with. We got to drive into the city of Fallujah and help deliver stuff to the Marines stuck there and I almost had to shoot up a bunch of retarded Iraqis who drove up on our ride...that was the best Christmas of all.

I clearly remember that I "volunteered" for all that stuff. Nobody drafted me.
Citizens sleep well knowing that there are Men (& some women) willing to do violence for their security.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. THANKS FOR THE ZOMBIE TIPS.

Trudy said...

Merry Christmas to one and all....

Nevermind a zombie apocolypse...I'd appreciate the guns for Christmas with the in laws...far more deadly.

~J said...

Thank you, "guardians of honor so willing to fight"...
Without all of you we wouldn't be nestled so snug and safe.

Hope you get to enjoy those Zombie flicks! (...I'll remember to bar the windows before I get the pies out of the oven...hahahaa)

Merry Christmas!

America's 1st Sgt. said...

Sarge, thanks! Carry on Sarge, Christmas Eve, all secure.

CI Roller, yeah, one of my best Christmases was in OP Omar in 2007. We had a huge feast and all the officers and staff sat around the table and puffed cigars.

Trudy, I am totally the little boy in that video gushing over the linked ammo.

J, yeah can't let those dirty plague ridden filth get at the pies!

Merry Christmas all!

Marian said...

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Merry Christmas to you and all those that are with you.

be603 said...

Merry Christmas and gratitude of me and my family to you and your men for standing in the gap this holiday.

The Son&Heir came home on pre-deployment leave yesterday. We celebrated by cleaning a new (used) pistol together I had just collected from the FFL and then went out to see True Grit.

Kanani said...

Well, I'm so glad you're not forgetting the special zombie Christmas for your men! What would Christmas be without zombies?

Paxford said...

Awww :( but zombies need love (and brains) too!

Hope that your Christmas is peaceful and as safe as you and your awesome ninja skills can make it.

Pax

Jenny said...

Thank you for your willingness to be out there, A1S. And Merry Christmas to you and your Marines!

Priceless video. My 14 year old and I died laughing. ;-)

Grimmy said...

Merry Christmas to one and all.

America's 1st Sgt. said...

Thanks gang. Unfortunately no zombie sightings. Sigh...

Leslie said...

You must have scared all of the zombies off!!! Thank You! Merry Christmas from (snowless) Colorado (at least our part). {{Hugs}}} to you and all of your ninjas!!!

Lisa said...

thank you dearly from those of us who wouldn't have the guts to do 1/2 of what you do... and yet, we get to reap the benefits. thanks doesn't seem like enough, but i hope that it is. be safe.